Friday, September 23, 2005

Terrible, Humorous Date #2

Another terrible date I experienced occurred just last November, the week after the Presidential Election and a week after I recuperated from five straight days of binge drinking and thinking about the next for years for the U.S..

I met the guy through a friend/co-worker who assured me that he was the sweetest thing! She said he was smart, funny, and loved the same kind of music I did. It sounded like it could be fun, so I was pretty excited when we made plans to go see a band at my favorite music spot in town. First we went to a Hibachi Grill, the food was great, and even though he was a little hard to talk to, it was fun.

When we got to my favorite bar, we got a great table, it was perfect. Then something happened. The guy just flipped the switch. Bipolar seems to come to mind. He was a totally different person, seriously Jeckel and Hyde material. I was shocked!!

Shortly after we sat down, he told me that a friend of his would be joining us. I was totally fine with that, in fact I thought it a good sign that he was introducing me to one of his friends so quickly. However, when his friend showed up, there was no introduction, they launched into this huge baseball conversation. It took me ten minutes just to get a word in edgewise so I could tell the friend my name. Twenty minutes later I was still sitting there, with no one to talk to, while they discussed the up coming deer season. They where talking about where they where going to go, the deer they had been seeing, etc. This was the perfect opportunity for me to join the conversation, I had been deer hunting with my dad for several years. When I told them that, they just laughed. My date said there was no way I had killed a deer and he didn't believe me. So I told him I had, listed off the measurements, etc., and waited for them to be surprised by the size of the deer. (I know at this point I sound like a total redneck, but I was tired of sitting there, not talking) Well it didn't work that way at all. They ignored me for the next thirty minutes or so, and I just sat there watching the opening band warm up.

Then I got another chance to join the conversation when it switched from hunting to the
play offs between the Cardinals and the Red Sox, and how they would have liked to have gone to a game. Well this is something I know a little bit about, so I decided if I wanted to socialize, I would have to just jump in the conversation. I told them that I actually had tickets to the final game played in St. Louis, and that I sold them because I couldn't get off work to go. Of course they looked at me like I had lost my mind, so I explained how my family is friends with the mayor of St. Louis, blah, blah, and we get tickets to lots of things. My date then told me that he thought I was a "one upper", and he didn't believe me, I must be lying. I thought he was just kidding, but I was the only person laughing at the table.

Again, I sat in silence as they went on and on about the Cards/Sox series. I was so bored, and so pissed I couldn’t' get a buzz. So I excused myself, went to the ladies room, and called for backup. My little brother, who is always on emergency notice, answered on the second ring. I told him what was going on, that my feelings where a little hurt, and that the band hadn't even started yet. I didn't know what to do. He is a very "to the point" kind of person. He told me to just get the heck out of there. Just leave, or go find a table of people I knew and party with them. But I couldn't do that, I would have felt terrible to just leave, so I told him I would give it one more shot, and call him back if it got worse.

When I sat back down, they had changed their subject to celebrity sightings. They where talking about all of the famous people a friend of theirs had seen at the Card's/Sox game. One name mentioned was Ben Affleck. Once again, an opening to the conversation. I had met and gotten my picture taken when BA in Boston at the Democratic Convention when he was stumping for Kerry and Edwards. I told them I didn't think he was that cute in person, but he was super nice. My date just glared at me. He said I was such a "one upper" it was "ridiculous", and that he was not impressed with my "name dropping". He was so serious. I couldn't believe he was speaking to me that way. I was so pissed. He then turned to his friend and said, "Can you believe her, she thinks she is miss all that." Well about that time I decided another trip to the ladies was in order, before I left the table I ask my date if when I came back would we all try to be nice to each other. He just laughed, apparently he didn't think he was being mean at all.

This time I didn't even hide the fact I was leaving, I just turned and walked out of the bar. I'm sure he realized I wasn't going out the front door to find a ladies room, and he never came after me. I ended up running into an old roommates bother on the sidewalk. We decided to go next door and have a drink so I could tell him how I just walked out on a date. It was a great ending to a terrible night. We had a blast.

The next day my friend/co-worker called me to ask just what had happened the night before. I told her the story and she said that was just his personality, and he picked on girls he liked. Well that is something you do when your in grade school, not your 30's. She said he really wanted to take me out again and he was sorry if I took offence to his "flirting". I never returned his calls after that, and eventually he quit calling.
Looking back on it, I don't regret that I went out with him, again this made a great story to tell my girl friends. However, I have since run into him when I've been out. It's funny how we both act like we don't know each other and head in different directions. I am not one to date someone who is mean or childish and he is obviously not one to date a "one upper".

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is it, exactly, that flips the switch in a 30-y-o man's head that brings him back to acting like he's 12????????????

All you wanted to do is have a normal date and to be included in the conversation! I can't believe he expected to go out with you again after acting like that! - JMcK

8:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

regardless if he thought that you were a one upper or not, he should have KNOWN that you are ALL THAT and he should have seized his opportunity with you whilst he had his window (of opportunity). Oh well, his loss. Sounds like he was just rude and lacked couth anyhow - what with not introducing you and ignoring you and all - and yes, it does make for good storytelling.
- holden

12:26 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

Julia,

Who knows what makes a man want to ack like he is 12 again. Maybe he was uncomfortable, maybe he didn't really like me and he was trying to run me off, or maybe he needed to ack macho in front of his friend. Who knows, the one thing I do know is that 12 year olds don't get a second date!

Holden, Thank you for the sweet compliments (as usual, that was so nice of you)!!!

8:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters
Bass ProShop Coupon