Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Dating Stock

Lately I've been taking stock of my past relationship. I have been trying to see what patterns I am following, to see if maybe I keep dating the wrong guys, because I am basically dating the same types of guys over and over. It's apparent that I've dated the guys that lie--a lot. But then I've also dated the ones that where to sweet for their own good. I've dated the older and younger, really, really wealthy and the ones that couldn't afford to finish college. I've dated the ones that loved to watch sports, and the ones that loved to play any sport. I've dated party guys, home bodies, hard bodies, alcoholics-or close to it, major church goers, and the ones that haven't seen the inside of a church since baptism.

So what am I doing wrong? Am I not showing enough interest? To much interest? I'm I to fat, to thin, to focused, to free spirited, to blonde, not blonde enough, to tan, to pale, maybe I dress up to much, or maybe I always look like a bum. Whatever I am doing wrong won't change any time soon. I will never change something to get a guy. I may adapt, take on some of his interest so we have more things to do together (i.e. golf, tennis, not binge drinking or going to strip bars). I may alter things to fit into his schedule, like eating dinner at 7:30 instead of 6:45, but these changes will only happen if things are mutual in the relationship. But lets face it, I won't have to adapt or alter if I continue my single girl status.

The funny thing is, I know exactly what I want in a relationship right now. I don't necessarily even want a relationship right now, but if I was to have one, I know exactly what qualities (shallow or not) that I want. He would have to be:
*Cute, tall, dark, pretty eyes, nice skin (Yes this is shallow, I know)

*Thoughtful. I want the little things. Renting my favorite movie if I’m sick. Bringing me flowers for no reason. They don't have to be expensive, they could be out of his neighbors garden. Little things make the big things mean so much more!

*Attentive. Hold my hand sometimes in public, give me a little hug for no reason. I want it to be obvious when we are out in public that we are together. He doesn't have to be in my hip pocket at all times, that would drive me crazy. When out with a big group of friends, we could mingle and talk to other people most of the night. Just check in once in awhile with a little hug or kiss.

*Have a great family. I have the best family. I really am lucky. My parents are fun and sweet, and really easy to be around. I want the same thing in a guy I am dating. I know that you can't help who your family is, and I know that every family has a black sheep, or 5 or 6. But, I dated a guy who wouldn't take me home to meet his family because I was Catholic, therefore, they would never except. I wouldn't want to meet them either if they where that narrow minded. I also dated a guy whose mom told me I was going to hell because I wouldn't come to her church. Well I bit my tongue, but I should have told her I would save her a seat in the judgmental section of hell. So family is a very important factor for me.

*Established. I want a guy to be able to take care of himself-financially. I don't want a rich preppy guy who doesn't know how to get his hands dirty. But I don't want to have to support a guy either. And if we want to go eat at a nice restaurant every once in a while, I want that to be possible. I want to have nice things, but I don't want to date a guppy.

*Happy. I have dated some guys who where so miserable with their lives and how they turned out, that they just drug everyone else down. I don't want a guy like that. I am so thankful for everything that I have, I want a guy who appreciates what he has too! If your not happy, you can't make someone else happy.

*Athletic. Okay, another shallow quality. But going to the gym is a big part of my daily routine. It's important for me not only to stay in shape, but to relieve any stress I might have. I want a guy who stays in shape and enjoys working out too. However, I don't want a crazy, roid head who takes working out to extremes. To much of something can be a bad thing.

*Stylish. Okay, my last shallow quality. But there are some things guys just shouldn't wear. (i.e. blue jean shorts, black shoes with navy socks, brown shoes with black dress pants, chest hair out of the top of a shirt-never, gold chains, more jewelry than me, solid white tennis shoes with jeans)

*Respectful. I need someone who treats me with respect. I don't want someone who talks down to me or treats me like a child.

*Good hygiene. This is self explanatory!
Some of these qualities I've found. But I want them all. I want the fairy tail. I want to be swept off of my feet. I want to be completely in love. I know most of these feelings eventually fade, then you have to decide if there is enough left to keep the relationship going. I know that the newness wears off. But I also know that I want to be in a relationship where when that newness wears off I have the choice to decide if it's the fairy tail or not. If this could in fact be, The One.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Before I met my beau, people always fed me the cliche "it always happens when you least expect it." I used to roll my eyes every time I heard that. But, as much as I hate to say it, it really came true! So, I'm now going to feed you the same line...It always happens when you least expect it. SERIOUSLY!! :)

2:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters
Bass ProShop Coupon