Monday, April 17, 2006

Love's Not Enough, This Time

He told me all about his new life. I haven't talked to him, really talked to him in so long. So many things have changed. He is still my best friend, we still have our memories, but our future is a little more uncertain now. I used to think we would be friends forever. I used to think I would get married someday (many, many years down the road) and he would love my husband like he loves me. I used to think he would gat married someday to some sweet little thing who would love listening to us tell stories of our "younger days". I used to think the four of us would go on vacations together or out to eat when I returned to my small southern town. But now, I just don't think these things will happen.

Before I got out of the truck to go inside, I ask him what was wrong. I know him, I could tell something was bothering him. It took him a minute, then he looked me in the eyes and told me he was in love with me. He told me he wanted me to move home. He promised to find me a good job, one better than what I am doing now. He promised to love me forever if I would just come home to him. He needs me, he said, and he wants me to help him with his new responsibility. He told me he loved me, he was in love with me.

But this time, I have to do this for me. I'm happy, I'm settled, and I'm dating someone. I have wonderful friends, a great job, and stability here. I can't move home, change my whole life, and try to be happy. I know me, I can't do it. I want him to be happy more than anything, but I can't be that person that makes him happy. I love him, I will always love him, he is my best friend. But this time, love is not enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters
Bass ProShop Coupon