Friday, December 08, 2006

Memories Of The Crescent City


For several years in a row I spent the first full week of December in New Orleans with my mom. I loved those trips. We would usually fly in on a Tuesday and stay until Sunday. We always stayed in a very nice hotel right by the river that had a huge shopping mall attached. By then all of the Christmas decorations were up, and the hotel was beautiful and festive.

Mom and I would walk down Magazine Street and eat at Mystic Pizza. We would walk around the French Quarter and shop in Jackson Square. We would spend countless hours wondering in and out of antique stores, looking for great finds and things we just couldn't live without. I always wanted to look at local art, and mom would always humor me and help me find galleries.

We always stopped at the New Orleans Candy Company for Pralines, and we had Bloody Mary's in the hotel bar. We ate amazing food while we were there; going to Acme Oyster Bar, waiting forever for a table at Mr. B's, stopping by Café Du Mondet for coffee and beignets, and eating at the local places along the quarter. I would have to say that is still my favorite kind of cuisine.

The first year we went I took all of my cute high heals, not realizing that my feet would suffer the more we walked. After two days I couldn't take it anymore. Mom bought me a pair of stylish black leather wedge heel boots. They were cute and comfortable, and they saved my feet during that trip. The next year I took my Wallabies, I was prepared!

I haven't been back since Hurricane Katrina. I hear it's getting better, but it's still not the New Orleans I remember from two years ago, the final year mom and I took our trip. We've talked about going back, but my schedule just hasn't worked out, I don't get as much time off as I'd like. When I do, I try to see the Mississippi Boyfriend.

Spending those weeks with mom in The Crescent City will always be some of my favorite memories. We always had such a good time, and I was always sad when we had to come home. I would go back to school or Little Rock, and mom would drive back to my small southern hometown.

There is just something about that city that has always mesmerized me. I don't know if it's the architecture, the history, the food, or just the vibe, but for some reason I've always been drawn to it. I think that's another reason why I find myself missing our trip so much this year. *Sigh* I miss The Crescent City with my mom.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, I am feeling what you are feeling right now and that is why missing this year is ok with me. It would not have been the same without you. I guess I always knew things would change and I who does not like change...would have to get use to it all. There is nothing I would give for the wonderful memories I have with my best girl on the windy streets and in the warm cozy restaurants and shops of the unique city of New Orleans.

I know some things have to change...that is the way of it all and you and your brother have your own paths to make and your dad and I have ours....and you know....all of it is exciting in its own way. What a wonderful life it is to be part of our family. We are truly blessed. Merry Christmas my sweet girl. Me love you long time.

12:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters
Bass ProShop Coupon