Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The Event Of The Season

I went home for my dad's "Surprise Almost 50" birthday party this past weekend. It was wild! My mom and I had planned every last detail. To the black plates, napkins, and forks, the band, the cake, and tons of food, to the black cooler cups for party favors. We just knew it was going to be the event of the season, and we were right.

After a lot of sneaky work by some family members we got dad out of the way so we could get the "main event" set up. A buddy of his took him for what I can only assume was a mini booze cruise because dad was a little tipsy when he finally got home at 7pm.

The party started at 7 with dad arriving at around 7:45pm. We flew in brother chef (that was the big surprise), and several family members came from out of town. When I arrived at the event there were close to 150 people already in attendance. Dad showed up about an hour later. He was shocked, he had absolutely no idea. We sent out close to 300 invitations, and still no one told him, I couldn't believe we got him.

Once brother chef showed up, the party really got started. I think dad was amazed at the people there, and the fact that his only son flew all the way from the East Coast. He was almost in tears as he looked around at the crowd. (and my dad is not a crier)

We drank, ate, danced, and drank some more. It was raining cats and dogs outside. The electricity went out, and there was a hell of a lightning show. When the lights went out at 11:30, we kept on drinking and having a good time. There was no reason to drive home in that weather.

It was one of the best parties to hit my small southern home town in a long time. It was definitely the "event of the season".

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You went above and beyond in helping with your dad's surprise party. I am so pleased everything came off the way it did. I was a little nervous when the first band canceled the Tuesday night before the Friday party. It did work out wonderfully that son chef's godfather agreed to schedule his band with us for that night and your dad had a blast when they played Marshall Tucker....actually...he enjoyed all the music.

After looking at the birtday list again....it came to my attention that God must have sent the rain because we invited over 400 folks and if the rain had not kept some of them at home....we would have been spilling out on the porches of the country club.

We all had a great time and again ....I want to say thank you for all your help. I couldn't have done it without you.

You know....you're damn good at event planning. :-):-)

Love you, Mom

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters
Bass ProShop Coupon