Friday, October 21, 2005

The Older Man Who Is Really 17

What is it with older guys that act like theyt are still teenagers? Is it the fact that they want to try to stay as young as possible? Do they feel that acing like they're 17 is the best way to go about dating younger girls? What is it? I have recently had a "run in" with an older guy I used to date. Actually he's not as old as I remember, could that be because I have aged three years since then and for some crazy reason he is younger than he told me back then---huuum.

So when I was in college I had a small crush on "the older man". We would run into each other occasionally, flirt a little, it was always totally innocent. Then one night we decided that we should go back to my house and play pool. That semester I lived with three guy friends, and we thought it was more important to have a pool table in the kitchen than a kitchen table. So off to my house we went. Turns out my guy roomies where having a party, the pool table was occupied, and the older man wasn't feeling to good at this point anyway. He ended up throwing up in my driveway while I fished in my purse for my car keys to take him home. He also made me pull over on the way to his house so he could vomit again. Seriously, I was discussed. He was/is middle aged, shouldn’t you know your limits by the time you in your mid thirties?

I never saw him again, and never really thought about him either. Then last week I bumped into him at a bar in Northeast Arkansas. We chatted a bit, he flirted way more than me. He was still so cute, but he was a little obnoxious. However, I decided that I would meet him for a drink last night, since he was in town. I didn't really want to, but I had already told him I would. So, we met at one of my favorite swanky bars, and it was over the top from the moment he walked in the door. He had this way of invading my personal space that bugs me. He was constantly trying to touch my back, shoulder, hand or arm. It was so annoying! He always leans in and whispers in your ear every time he talks about anything. He wanted me to take shots with him and get crazy, I had to work today, I couldn't get wild and crazy. Besides that, if I did, would he throw up again? He kept saying things about how much of a "smooth cat" he was. Is that old man lingo for I get lots of ladies? I didn't think he was at all smooth when he was heaving in my driveway a few years ago.

Well the night progressed, and I got more aggravated at his behavior. He kept trying to get me to kiss him. I never had in the past, why would I do it at a crowded bar when he was being so obnoxious? At one point he even bit my arm--is that old man flirting? What if his dentures would have popped out? (I'm kidding he's not that old) Anyway, I had shown him a picture of Louie V on my camera phone. He was insistent that he go to my house and meet the newest roommate. I told him that one afternoon when he was in town we could take Louie V to the park or something, but it was late and I needed to get some rest. He kept on and on and finally I told him that I didn’t want him at my house and I didn't think Louie V would either.

I guess he actually thought he would come hang out at my house that night. What did he think would happen? Do I look like Anna Nicole? Seriously, it was a bit degrading that he just atomically assumed that he was going to go hang out with me after we left the bar. It was also obvious that he was more than a little tipsy last night when he showed up to meet me. I had to try to keep him at arm length all night (which, thankfully, only lasted about an hour and a half before I went home). He must have kissed my cheek 15 times, but I was nice, laughed at him, aggravated him a bit. I just can't be mean. Besides I love to leave guys wanting more, and with him, I knew I had control, and I would always feel good about that down the road. So after discussing how he wanted to come home with me, and me explaining how it wasn't going to happen. He stood, pushed his chair back from the table and announced that he was leaving. So I stood and said I was ready to leave too. We walked out the door, went separate directions, and drove home.

I was amused by his behavior last night, but not really that surprised. He is a total toxic bachelor. He will never get married, and even if he does, it will take a lot of maturity on his part to make the marriage last. I have so much more self restraint and (I hate to use this word) class than he does, and it's so surprising that I can even see that and not be blinded by the good looks and care free attitude. The only reason I went to begin with was because I had already said I would. And I don't regret the decision, it made for yet another one of my terrible humorous date stories.
But on his behalf, he did send me a text message today apologizing for his behavior last night. He said he was sorry he "did it again". I appreciated the apology, but I'm not interested in seeing the older man and his childish attitude again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Anisa said...

"smooth cat"

that is so funny! yeah, i definitely think you don't want to see this guy again!

12:02 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

I know what a crazy right? Seriously any guy who calls himself a "smooth cat" could probably get the senior discount at the local IHOP!!

6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters
Bass ProShop Coupon