Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You

I recently watched the movie Closer. I really didn't like the movie, it confused me and made me sort of sad, but the music, that's a different story. I absolutely love the song by Damian Rice that's playing at the very end. It's called "The Blowers Daughter", and it's beautiful. I put it on my IPod, and I listen to it all the time.

It took me awhile to figure out what the song was about. At first I thought it was about a guy who was so in love with the beauty of another that he couldn't take his eyes off them. Then the more I listened to it I wondered if it was about some crazy stalker who secretly watched someone, wrong again. The last line of the song says I can't take my mind off you until I find somebody new.

Then it made sense, and this is probably why I liked the song so much (not to mention the acoustic guitar-which I love) it's not about love at all. It's about a guy who falls hard for someone, but can easily replace that person if things don't work out, and he finds someone else. He's fickle, he easily moves on, he's maybe a little shallow. He thinks the best way to forget someone is to replace them.

The song is actually really sad, it fits perfect with the movie. But there is still something about it that attracts me. Wonder what that could be?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course it depends on how you interpret Damien's song but I think the guy in the song is not fickle at all. I think he is stunned by his feelings and is struggling to let her go and he won't be able to do this until he falls in love with someone else. The pupil in denial could be that he didn't want to learn how it would feel to be hurt by love. However, it's apparent he was a good student and he really did want to be the hero in her sky and it will be a long time before he can get her off his mind.

11:12 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Okay, obviously you know a lot about this song....which interests me. You know the lyrics for sure. So don't be anonymous...who is this?
I have a feeling I know....this has to be my mom....haha.

8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters
Bass ProShop Coupon