Thursday, May 25, 2006

How To Stop A Bank Robber With Panty Hoes On His Head

I'll never forget that day. It was a Friday, I was swamped at work, and it looked like there was no way I would get home by 5. My rent was a day late because I had been working long hours, and I was poor. I had just gotten paid that day, so I needed to deposit the check so I could then sign it back over to my landlord. I had a work related errand to run at a down town office building, which just happened to be two blocks from my bank. Of course I was going to take this opportunity to run to my bank. I thought I could sneak in this personal errand, no such luck.

I whipped my car up to a curb side spot on a one way street. As I jumped from the car, I realized the back end of my car was going to be out in traffic and more than likely hit on the busy street if I didn't parallel park it. But there was no time, I had to make my transaction and haul ass back to work. As I turned one last time to see just how bad my parking job was, I noticed something. There was a man getting out of the car just two spots behind me, he was tall, and dark skinned. He was wearing jeans and a red hooded sweatshirt. He was wearing panty hoes over his face.

I just kept walking towards the bank. I was reaching for the handle of the bank doors when it hit me. I grew up in a one back town, but I know that wearing panty hoes on your face can only mean one thing. This man was going to robe the bank. I stopped dead in my tracks. I turned back around and looked at the man, he was frozen in his tracks, half out of his car, and still watching me.

I don't remember thinking anything at this point. I calmly pulled my cell from my purse and walked back to my car. I dialed 911 and locked the doors. I gave the operator a full description of the car and it's passengers. The operator alerted the building security and ask that I leave my car and walk to another entrance area, she assured me that the authorities would be waiting for me. So I left my purse in the car, stayed on the phone with her, and walked around to the other side of the building. The man with the panty hoes on his head was sitting back in the car watching every more I made. When I was on the other side of the building I saw the car pull away from the curb, and slowly drive down the street. Then I was inside the building, surrounded by Marshals and FBI agents.

Apparently my bank is housed in one of the most secure buildings in Little Rock. This building houses offices for a former President, as well as several other prestigious people and companies. I described the details of what had happened twice to the authorities. By this time the bank had been evacuated. I was then walked to my car so I could get my check and make my deposit. An armored truck pulled up to the bank as I was being walked to my car, and after a few short words spoken by an agent into the cuff of his shirt the truck pulled away and continued down the street.

Then it hit me. Had I just interfered with a possible bank robbery? Could I have been in danger? Does the bank award me money for this (kidding)? After I made my transaction, I gave my contact information to one of the agents, and I went back to work. I had been gone for almost two hours, and my boss was not at all happy.

I told him what happened, and shortly it was confirmed when a high ranking employee at the bank called by boss to inform him of what I had been involved in that afternoon. Needless to say, I didn't get to leave work before 5, but I didn't catch any more hell from my boss either.

The next Monday when I got to work, I received a huge vase of fresh cut flowers and a note, not from the bank, but from one of the agents. The note said he was amazed at how calm I remained and how I handled myself, blah, blah, and he wanted to know if I would like to go to dinner with him. I was so surprised by his gesture. I called and thanked him, but declined on dinner. After everything that had happened, I didn't think it was appropriate, not to mention, I couldn't remember which agent he was.

And that my friends is how a southern girl stops a bank robber with panty hoes on his head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counters
Bass ProShop Coupon